Being able to, and quite honestly having the privilege, to watch this family grow up year after year makes what I do a dream come true.
Nothing makes me happier than having the chance to tell a family in the middle of a shoot... "Time for some funny faces!!"
I had so much fun meeting up with one of my favorite families a couple weekends ago. These two kids are so much fun to be around. I have photographed Colton's sister for almost 3 years now, and each and every time she is more and more intrigued by the camera. It looks as if she has been teaching her brother a couple of tricks because he has needed no warming up, his smiles were present from the first shot!
I know I'm a couple days late on this post. Most "Best Of" articles are written right before the New Year, but oh well! I personally had one of the best years of my life, both personally, and professionally. My wife and I purchased our very first home in Cary, Illinois. Miranda Photography also continued to grow and expand and I achieved a number of "firsts" in the year 2014.
I first wanted to start out by showing you all my favorite photo taken from another photographer in 2014.
This image was captured by Jim Young who was documenting the rioting following the grand juries no indictment decision in the Michael Brown case in Ferguson, MO. I've always envied these photographers who put their lives on the line to bring these images to the American public. These moments that shape American history have been and always will be beautifully and historically documented thanks to amazing work like the one done by Jim Young in Ferguson.
Now on to my top 5 photos. These images aren't all the best technical photographs, but they all have a special place in my heart for one reason or another.
5. This photo was taken moments before the start of the 2014 Chicago Hot Chocolate 5k/15k. I was hired by RAM Racing to cover the starting line and post-race party which was one of the biggest thrills of my life.
4. I chose this photo for a couple of reasons. First, it's so darn cute! It's one of those shots that just tells a fantastic story all on it's own. And second, it's a family that was the driving force in me starting this business a number of years ago. Arianna, the big sister in this photo, was my first professional subject when she was just a couple weeks old.
3. The photo itself, is not something I would typically brag about. But this was the shot that got me published for the first time. This shot along with one other were published in the Summer 2014 issue of In Play Magazine.
2. This photo holds a very special place in my heart, maybe too much considering it's not my wedding. I have been honored to photograph a handful of weddings in my career, but this one was the first one I walked away from knowing I did a great job from start to finish. We are all our own biggest critics, so I don't leave many weddings feeling to confident. But I took the knowledge and lessons learned in all my previous weddings, and put them all together on this day to create a wedding album I was proud of. It doesn't hurt that we were on location in beautiful St. Joseph, Michigan and that these were two great friends from my college days at Bradley University. Thank you Mike and Natalie for having me be a part of this day!
1. This image was captured from the amazing Torrey Pines State Park in San Diego, California! I have not had the privilege to take many long exotic vacations in my life... yet. But this summer my wife and I decided to treat ourselves to a long vacation in San Diego. We stayed with my wonderful family out there who showed us some of the most beautiful sights the city has to offer.
A couple of weeks ago I had the pleasure of photographing a family that holds a very special place in my heart. Not only have I known Ryan since we were kids, but he, along with his wife Patti, deserve a lot of credit for being my inspiration in starting this business. Before the birth of Arianna, I was just a guy who had a passion for photography. But it was that one afternoon that I "attempted" to photograph a then newborn Arianna, that my entire world was flipped upside down. I now had visions of starting my own photography business, finally a job I could say I enjoyed having!
Fast forward 3 years later, I'm still adding to my knowledge of the craft, I'm still discovering different ways to reach out to new clients, and most importantly, my love for photography continues to grow.
Speaking of growing, the Galka family now also includes a 1 year old Landon who absolutely loved the camera, and a soon to be 3rd baby Galka is also on the way. I love this family so much and can't wait to watch these kids grow up!
I've been a little behind in getting some of my recent photo shoots up, and for that I apologize. This is a couple of select shots from a really fun photo shoot I had a couple of weekends ago. It was an honor to shoot this beautiful family and I hope to work with them again in the future.